Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Laotian poet quoted in VICE

2016 Lao American Writers Summit chair Krysada Panusith Phounsiri was quoted in Vice this month for Chin Lu’s “Why I’m Proud to Be a Naturalized Citizen in 2017,” noting: “Native-born Americans were joking about ‘Oh I’m leaving the country’ [post-election] and I don’t even want to joke about that,” said Binly Phounsiri, a Laotian American artist and engineer in his late 20s. “I have this village mentality: This is my village, and I’m not going to walk away from it.”

Krysada Panusith Phounsiri is a Lao-American artist and engineer. He was born in Laos in 1988 and came to America with his family in 1989. A graduate of UC Berkeley in 2010, he holds a degree in Physics and Astrophysics Double Major and also a minor in Poetry. His debut collection is Dance Among Elephants, was published by Sahtu Press in 2015.

His work has been featured in the Journal of Southeast Asian American Education and Advancement and the Smithsonian’s “A Day In The Life Of Asian America” digital exhibit. He recently received first place for Poem of the Year in the Rhysling Awards of the Science Fiction Poetry Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment